Friday, March 2, 2007

How I Spent My Snow Day

Okay, back to the Adventures in Consumerism theme.

I went to the gym today [seriously - a plow (plough)! BUY ONE, MINNEAPOLIS! I shouldn't be risking my life to get to the YWCA.] and after I got done shoveling out the end of my condo's parking lot, I went in to the building to get my mail. And therein was my Sprint bill. I was absolutely shocked to see that I owed $124. Okay, I don't talk on the phone that much. I'm not a phone talker.

Someone had run up $80 in "additional usage charges". Someone was kind enough to download such ringtones as "Let's Cheat, I'm a Pimp", "Ass Like That", "This is Why I'm Hot" and my favorite - someone downloaded the game "Nascar 07."

I called Sprint and - oh, I love it - it was a dropped call. Foiled by Sprint! Twice over! I called back and spoke with a CSR and he told me that because the charges were "verified", I had to pay for them. I told him that I wouldn't and asked for a supervisor. He put me on hold for awhile and came back on the line to tell me that because I was a long-time customer, they would be willing to make me only pay half of the charges, but that I couldn't speak with a supervisor. Which led to this conversation....

Me: That is not acceptable. (And then more blah blah blah about why....I remember saying the word "nor".)
Him: Well, I can't reverse these charges.
Me: I'm saying that I did not download the ringtone "Let's Cheat, I'm A Pimp" and I'm not going to pay for it.
Him: Okay, I'm going to transfer you to a supervisor.

The supervisor seemed to understand. He said this is actually fairly common for people to have their cell phones "cloned" by scammers who want to download shitty songs as their ringtones. But they need to investigate it and I'll find out in three business days if these are fraudulent. However, I already know they're fraudulent.

Lame, Sprint. I'm adding you to my list of Corporations that I am Forced To Do Business With Against My Will. Here's the list so far:
  • Comcast [oh, I have a very special place in my heart for the deep hatred (yes, hatred) I have for Comcast]
  • Bank of America
  • Best Buy
  • Sprint
And for the record, I'm very nice to CSRs. I am a dream customer. I know it's not their fault - it's way above their head. I only get snippy when they're being ridiculous.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a crappy way to spend a snow day.

we were closed yesterday as well, but I worked anyway and I had a great day until I left work.

you should have gone to work !

also, uptown doesnt really plow their streets in the winter time. didnt they tell you that when you were buying your condo?

dab

kara said...

No one told me about this unspoken "no street plowing" rule. Snaps to them for being sneaky.

Anonymous said...

I understand the others, but why are you forced to do business with Best Buy?

Miss you,
Ken

Unknown said...

It's true...we all have our Sprint stories. Mine include: two $400-plus "unverified" phone bills, four lost mailed in checks, purchasing a new phone that increased my bill $30...it's endless. They're awful.

kara said...

I was forced to do business with Best Buy because I bought my computer there and the hard drive failed every year. Since my warranty has since lapsed, I guess I don't HAVE to do business with them anymore, but they're every ten feet here, so they're hard to avoid. With their blue shirts....

Sprint really is awful. I've been lucky and have only had a mediocre experience with them thus far. They left me a voicemail last night - I'm avoiding calling them back because I don't want them to tell me I have to pay for those crappy ringtones.

Andy Barr said...

Are you going to write about running into Meg at Mortimer's? You better.