Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Thin Mints are my favorite

Oh yeah - I still have this thing.

I was perusing MySpace this evening (wow, now there's a line that will really reel in some readers) and decided to see what's going on with people that I went to high school with. Now, I've been out of high school for eight years and I feel as though I've kept in touch with the people that I wanted to keep in touch with. Also, I enjoyed high school and have no ill feelings about it.

So, things that I learned from being a MySpace stalker tonight:

  • Apparently, I went to high school with someone named "Prom Headquarters" - awesome.
  • A majority of people from my high school have children. They all seem very proud of being a single parent. Good for them and their kick-ass tax refund.
  • A slightly lesser amount of people are married.
  • Wow, I never realized how many people never left Eau Claire.
I love the advancements in bullet point technology.

Anyways, it just made me realize how much I would stick out at a reunion. Not only am I not named "Prom Headquarters", but I have no children and I'm certainly not married. I can't say I'm particularly interested in either experience, to tell you the truth. In fact, I'm so removed from children that I didn't even realize that it was Girl Scout cookie time. (Well, that was until the Girl Scouts showed up at the gym to peddle their wares - and they were on the other side of a glass wall from where I was doing crunches - every time I came up, I saw the cookies. It was all kinds of awful.)

Most people seem to be surprised by my discomfort around children. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad you have kids. I'm glad. No really, I'm glad. But I can probably count the number of times I've held a baby on one hand. Actually, probably on one finger. I can make conversation with 4-6 year-olds - they're still little and they don't get it when I say "So, did you read that article about those crazy North Koreans?! Can you believe they're breeding huge rabbits for food?" Okay, actually, that might disturb a child. But you get what I'm saying. And the kids under 4 just sort of hang out and I like that. I'm a big fan of hanging out. It's the 6-12 year-olds that I actively avoid. They're old enough that they think they have interesting things to say and as an adult, I am expected to pretend like they are little geniuses. Wrong. I only pretend to be listening when I'm talking with this age group. And while I'm nodding, I'm thinking about how I can leave the room without looking like a jerk.

So, this post didn't fit in with my recent Adventures in Consumerism theme, so apologies for that. But I suppose I could throw in a random consumerism-related story. I was at Herberger's on Sunday for Clinique Bonus Days and a saleswoman came up to me and asked if this was my natural hair color. I said "yes" (for those of you about to say "but didn't you have a cellophane treatment like six months ago?", I have this in reply: "yes, but that is all faded by now") and the saleswoman said "I hate you. I'm so jealous. I've always wanted red hair." I didn't know what to say back, so I thanked her.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You always manage to make me smile Kara...Come back and visit soon!

Casey Boyd said...

kids are just dumb little adults. maybe if they'd shut up about their chocolate milk and their pokemons for five seconds we could wrangle them all into a GMC jimmy and drive it directly into the earth's sun.

sorry. 4pm is usually when my mind starts going kablooie.