Wednesday, February 7, 2007

First Installment in Adventures in Consumerism

If I am anything, I'm persuadable. And gullible. But mostly persuadable. Andy suggested that I start a regular feature in this...blog entitled "Adventures in Consumerism." Or maybe he didn't suggest that exact title - I feel like he did. Anyways, I hate bad customer service. I hate it. So I'm going to write in here everytime I receive bad customer service.

I was at the Hope Gospel Mission thrift store in Eau Claire over the weekend. I love that store - I don't care what sort of religious affiliation they have. It's a totally rockin' (yes, rockin') secondhand store. Very clean, very organized. OR SO I THOUGHT.

My friend, Meghan, had mentioned that she was on the market for a bread machine. Lo and behold, the Hope Gospel Mission thrift store had a new-looking bread machine. And it worked! Oh happy day! But it had no price tag. Whatever - it's a secondhand store that helps the homeless. They will surely sell me this bread machine for a reasonable price (similar bread machines were priced around $10.)

I bring it up to the checkout with my other items (Pyrex bowl for $3!) and I see a sign that says "no price tag, no sale, no exceptions." Lame. So I put the bread machine on the counter and tell the snotty churchy-looking lady that it doesn't have a tag. She asks me if I looked on the bottom. Of course I looked there - do I look like a fool?

So she says that she can't sell it to me because there's no tag. This is the Midwest so I decide to be passive aggressive. It's just my nature. I turn to my mom and loudly say "This store helps the homeless, yet they don't want my money to pay for this bread machine. That's a ridiculous policy. I think it's stupid. They should be feel lucky to have someone willing to buy a used bread machine." My mom gives me a dirty look and the churchy-looking lady ignores me. Mission accomplished.

I then bitched the entire ride over to the antique store about the stupid "no tag, no sale" policy. I maintain that it's a stupid policy though - you help the homeless! Sell me the bread machine!

3 comments:

TJP said...

Go back in, remove every tag, and laugh as they make no money.

Also, if they have so many untagged items in the store that they require a sign, wouldn't you think they would address the root of the problem at some point?

I'm glad you didn't post about Lost because I didn't watch it. :-)

kara said...

Yeah, that's what I said - if they have to a policy re: no tags, perhaps they should have someone dedicated to ensuring that all items are properly tagged.

My dad expressed surprise that they would let such a "big ticket" item like a bread machine go untagged.

Casey Boyd said...

how i long for the day when the devout and thrifty can finally break bread (machines).