Tuesday, February 6, 2007

It's like camping

I don't do well when I'm forced to live without the internet. I got home from work on Thursday and saw that the wireless network I had been using was password-protected. Message received, sir. Well played.

Okay, so, I went back to Eau Claire for the weekend and my parents have dial-up, so I obviously wasn't going to use the internet there.

I spent most of yesterday trying to decide if I could live without the internet at home. I sit at a computer for 8 hours a day. I shouldn't be encouraging that in my non-work time. But then I thought of my TiVo. My poor TiVo. Why should it be punished because I'm too poor to afford the internet? It has done nothing wrong. My TiVo has provided me with hours of entertainment and even more hours of me talking about the TiVo. I can't leave it stranded like that.

And let's be realistic. I'm not going to live without the internet. That's like camping. (Note: I do enjoy camping - I just rarely have the chance to do it.) In college, I woke up one Sunday morning and our apartment didn't have any electricity. My friend, Angie, was in town visiting. I basically went into full panic mode - no TV, no radio, no computer and no internet. I was actually packing up some stuff to go sit in my car and listen to the radio when the electricity came back on. Approximately 20 minutes had elapsed. So yeah - I view that incident (or as Angie remembers it - "The Time Kara Flipped Out Over No Electricity") as a "tell" of my character.

4 comments:

TJP said...

Not to mention, BLOGS require home internet usage. Otherwise you become a story in the Express about the woman who didn't want to work so she kept a journal on her computer about how she was avoiding work.

True story.

kara said...

So she kept a journal on her computer about not wanting to go to work. Did she get busted? How did this end up in the hallowed Express?

kara said...

And here is the story Tim was talking about - I find this highly hilarious.

Casey Boyd said...

seriously, i'd die to see a short documentary about kara's visit to amish country.