Sunday, February 11, 2007

Another Adventure in Consumerism

To know me is to know my love for my TiVo. I have spent three hours today tending to my TiVo, yet it still spurns my efforts to fix the problem at hand (only one day of programming left! aaahhh!).

I go to Best Buy to purchase one of the TiVo-compatible wired network adapters. Of course, they only have one off of the entire list and it costs $50. Fine, whatever, as long as I can record How I Met Your Mother tomorrow night. Some dude that works at Best Buy comes over to ask me if I need anything and I ask him if that's the only wired network adapter they carry for TiVo. He says yes and that they highly recommend that adapter. Of course you do, it's $50. Anyways, I buy it. And a Pixies cd.

So I get home, make myself a cup of tea and get to fixing the TiVo. I hook up the adapter and it keeps telling me something about a DHCP server or something. Whatever. I call TiVo. It goes something like this:

Me: Hi, I bought a wired Linksys network adapter - model USB200M - this afternoon and my TiVo is giving me a message re: a DHCP server.
Him: Okay, ma'am (very not cool to call me "ma'am", by the way), do you have it hooked up to your wireless router?
Me: No.
Him: (Very snottily) Ma'am, I don't see how you expect this to work if it's not hooked up to your wireless router.
Me: It's a wired adapter. I don't need to hook it into the wireless router for this.
Him: Okay.

Okay, guy, you WORK at TiVo. If I'm telling you how it works, that does not instill confidence. Also, I'm sure he thought I was just some stupid girl who didn't have her TiVo plugged in or something.

Also, Best Buy guy, you suck. This is, by far, the crappiest piece of electronic periphery I have ever purchased in my life. It literally fell apart in my hands. I'm returning it immediately. (Well, not IMMEDIATELY - the store is like 10 minutes away and it's cold out.)

2 comments:

TJP said...

I have to say, it wasn't my favorite HIMYM but good. Also I just got season one for 20 at Borders. I also got season two of the Office for 20. I'm a sucker for Borders Rewards emails.

kara said...

If my sister ever decided to read this (and no, Erin, being busy is not an excuse), she would say that she works at Borders. I actually had to stop getting the Borders Rewards emails - it always made me feel guilty for not going to Borders.

Also, thank you for commenting.