Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Back to my Adventures in Consumerism

Wow, 3 blog entries in one night. And I'm not even procrastinating cleaning the bathroom! Anyways, this entry will be about a topic near and dear to my heart: my Adventures in Consumerism.

So, I had pre-ordered a copy of the latest Harry Potter book at the Borders in Eau Claire. In fact, I distinctly remember pre-ordering it on June 23rd - it was supposed to be added to my sister's pre-order. The seemingly-capable employee at Borders told us that we were fine and we merrily left the store that day.

Now, my sister used to work at this Borders. She even knew the guy that took my pre-order. I was told that everything was fine.

So, we get to Borders at 11:30 on Friday night. After waiting in line for 15-20 minutes to get to the wristband table, we are told (by a manager!) that there was only one pre-order for Erin. NOT TWO. THE GUY HAD MESSED UP MY PRE-ORDER. So, the manager is nice enough to be all "I know Erin, I'll just mark her down for two." However, there was no apology - she didn't even acknowledge that my pre-order wasn't there. This turned into a problem later when Erin had the wristband on and had to get out of line to use the restroom. I just about had a heart attack because I had to hold the place in line - with no wristband of my own! Because I had no pre-order! I thought I'd be outed as a phony.

Unfortunately, that's not the end of the story. After waiting in line for 40 minutes and not moving, I have something akin to a consumer-mental-breakdown. I decide I've had enough of that crap and I drove us over to the Waldenbooks in Oakwood Mall. Borders employees, you could learn a lot from those folks. Not only was their line moving, but the employees actually seemed happy to be there! We waited in line 45 minutes there, but at least I got my book.

And no, after all of that stupidity, I still haven't started it. NO SPOILERS!

So, I will be refusing to buy any books at Borders from now on. I did not like how the Harry Potter situation was handled on any level. I now consider Borders to be the Best Buy of books. That's an insult. (However, snaps to WaldenBooks - I was impressed.)

3 comments:

Erin L said...

Waldenbooks and Borders are owned by the same corporation. So, technically, you just snapped for your Best Buy of bookstores.

Unknown said...

To repeat the text message that one of my rommates and I sent to another friend of ours who was working and couldn't start the book until Monday:
"Hermione gets knocked up."

kara said...

I like that there are two Erins that comment. And only I can tell the difference. Oh, the power is maddening!

Anyways, yes, I know that Waldenbooks and Borders are owned by the same evil overlords. However, my boycotts are usually about principle, so the boycott of Borders continues, while my praise for Waldenbooks also continues!

Until I saw the first movie, I thought Hermione's name was pronounced her-moyne.