Sunday, June 17, 2007

Dowels and Saws

I woke up this morning and decided to have a Day of Productivity. That basically means that I ran errands. BUT, I also sawed some dowels to serve as backup locks for my windows.

When I woke up, I really got it in my head that I needed to go to Menards (holla Eau Claire) and buy some dowels and a saw. Unfortunately, I can't find my tape measure, so I had to use my arm to measure how long of a dowel I would need. But then I got to Menards and realized that I know nothing about dowels and saws. (This is a real failure on my dad's part - he's all about woodworking. If you've been to my parent's house, you know that a quarter of my parent's garage is my dad's woodworking woodshop.) To make my problem even worse, I was holding up all of the dowels to my arm to see how I felt about the length. I decided to buy oak dowels because I feel like I like oak trees.

But then I had to buy a saw. I know even less about saws; however, I did manage to find them in the store. I bought the second-least-expensive saw. No need to be frugal when it comes to my safety and these sweet locks!

So, after a stop at SuperTarget to get my weekly groceries (and I spent about ten minutes looking at those reflective shades you can put in the front window of your car - I couldn't decide which size to get so I decided to measure my front window and then think about it. There's no need to rush into a reflective shade decision), I went home to make my dowel locks. Luckily, I had a piece of cardboard that came with my new curtains (!!), so I sawed on that.

I was never actually able to saw through the dowels. I basically sawed around the edges and then gave up, and broke it off with my incredible strength.

So, now I can feel safe - thanks to these properly measured dowels in my windows.

No comments: